It was first reported on Nov. 8 to the Placer County Department of Health, that E. coli and coliform bacteria were found in the drinking water at Squaw Valley. Squaw Valley has now issued an extended statement addressing the matter. The contamination was found exclusively at upper mountain and the issue was quickly acted upon, as the site has consistently been treated, showing steady progress. There are no longer signs of E. coli in the affected wells, but three wells still show coliform in the water. There have been no reports of health incidents at upper mountain, although full skiing remains available to guests. Although they maintain that progress is being made, they are keeping the health of their customers at the forefront, and are not allowing anyone to use the drinking water and restaurants remain closed.
In their statement, Squaw Valley traced the root of their recently updated water system’s contamination to a heavy rain storm, that ultimately led to flooding. There were no other water systems affected at Squaw Valley and none of the contaminated water ever reached the public, as the problem was quickly discovered during a routine maintenance check. The Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District were contacted directly after the contamination was discovered, and in order to further expedite the process, water safety experts were consulted. Squaw Valley does not plan on returning to their regular water usage schedule until all issues with the drinking water are completely resolved. Safety continues to be the primary concern at Squaw Valley, and as guests will have full access to facilities, complimentary bottled water will be available. The guests will remain abreast of how the situation is progressing, as representatives at Squaw Valley will provide updates. Squaw Valley thank’s Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District for the incredible assistance they’ve provided throughout this situation.